Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bullying as no age limit.

This was in 2001, I was in the process of growing my hair back.





Click to read about a 68 year old grandmother who is a bus rider for a school board just over the boarder, in Rochester New York.

I woke up this morning when Ryan got home from work, and he told me he had made a donation last night, and wanted to tell me about it. We have been the recipient's of kindness and support through donations for our struggles, so for us to make donations to others is a very common thing in our home, so I really wasn't surprised. He went to our computer, and she showed me a video, the one I asked you to click on at the top.

This video, if you have watched it - within the first 3 seconds you see an elderly woman sitting on a bus, and continuously being harassed by middle school students, and one student, is video taping the abuse. This video goes on for 10 minutes, words are being said to her that I will not repeat, threats are being made, they are physically touching her to make fun of her, and she does this day in and day out for $15,000.00 per year. Ryan was disgusted by this video, and I quote on his facebook, "If one of my kids grows up to be one tenth as ignorant and rude as these kids I will beat it out of them or lose use of my hands in the process of trying." Ryan and I are very respective of people, especially the elderly so for us to see this, we were sickened.

Ryan explained to me that a man is fundraising money for this woman to never have to return there again, and when he told me the total was over $100,000 I couldn't believe it, and when I checked it this afternoon it is now past $200,00 for this woman and her family (and our $20 donation is in there too) :)

I tend to forget it is not just people with disabilities that can be victims to bullying, actually anyone can be a victim. If you have a disability, if you are overweight, if you are underweight, if you are elderly, if you are a typical child, if you believe in God, if you have a lisp, if you live in a small apartment, if you live in a HUGE house, if you drive an older car, if you have a BMW, if you outgoing, if you are an introvert - anything and everything, and it makes me sick.

Now, this woman's story is on CNN, making national news - but not all people getting severely bullied are as fortunate enough in the sense that it is recognized. People go on for years not being able to confront their attackers, threatened if they "tell" on them, and this can effect them long down the road, especially a child. It can make the child not trust, insecure - I can admit, like I have written a while before that I have been on both sides of the coin. When I was 12, I got head lice and my mother could not get it all out - so to make sure I could not give it to anyone at school.. she did the unthinkable for a 12 year old, she cut my long, beautiful hair as I entered grade 8. I was teased by people who didn't know me, I was called a boy, a dyke, was laughed at - and I will admit, at 12 - it hurt, and there was nothing I could do. I went to counselling, and tried desperately to grow my hair back so fast, middle school aged children are not very accepting to change. I then admit in highschool, hair was growing back - and I fought back the wrong way, I became a bully myself to make myself feel better. I was more just a, "bitch" from what I was told by people I was in highschool with, I would never be anything like I watch on the videos, and it makes me sick to even think I could act one tenth of what these children would act.

I wish the best for this woman and the rest of her life, and even though she will always have this horrible memory and experience, she will be better for it in the end. Karma.

Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment