Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Autism Walk - 2012



As we drove into Welland, my heart was beating so fast... being anxious about the weather. Last year, as I wrote about, it rained... actually, not just rained, it poured and thunder stormed. Owen and I ran our little hearts out, and I felt something I have never felt before - that in the end, it is going to be him and I. He knows his mama takes him to all his appointments, that his mom is his personal taxi, that his mom goes to his school several times a week - he will know that, it is him and I.

So as we drive into Welland, and the small bit of beautiful sunshine faded away, my heart sank - was it going to be a downpour? Probably a good idea I cancelled the BBQ, but ah well - this is our "thing", we have a wonderful supportive team, and we are walking no matter what.

So with our Owen and Ben shirts on, and many supportive family, friends, teachers and etc we began to register our team and get ready to walk. Lucky enough, we had our photographer come to take pre-walk pictures, the boys got to meet the mascot from the Ice Dogs "Bones", and the kids played in the park.

10 am - WALKING TIME! We had mostly walkers on the team, then a few friends ran the whole way - it was amazing. It was amazing in the sense that environments like these, make it all okay. There is no stares, no comments.. there is no explaining why your child does the things they do, there is only love, support, compassion - it is my favourite environment to be apart of, and several family and friends have now also seen this, and embrace it.

Our friends who have children with Autism were there, either volunteering or entering their own team, amazing. 2 of my friends got 2nd and 3rd place for the amount they raised, and I couldn't be prouder. Completing the run again this year, made me more excited to do it all over next year, with our new team name, "Owen and Ben's Journey".

Here are more pictures from Saturday June 2, 2012. Taken by: Joel Smith Photography.

Vanessa














No comments:

Post a Comment