Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spreadin' the love.

I know how far Owen has come, I see it everyday when we are in situations that gave me nightmares a year ago, and now is like a walk in the park. I see it when other people see how he can make eye contact, he greets you when you walk in our home - we just see it. When people meet my children for the first time, I get nervous for 2 reasons. 1- Will they know Owen and Ben have Autism? 2- If they do, or if they don't .. how will they treat them? regardless? This happened yesterday. We had our Union meeting for the month, and with the new Union Executive, the Union is now starting to make great changes - providing childcare, supplying dinner since our meetings are at 5pm, holding a fundraiser (which will be held every year with a different charity/cause every year) and even starting a slow-pitch team! Amazing. With the childcare option, I said to Ryan I wanted to bring one of our kids - and we opted I bring Owen. I wanted the Union to meet one of the little men in my life they are helping with this fundraiser, I wanted them to know how real this is, and make it as personal as I could. How often do you get to watch, listen, meet, and learn from your cause? Owen did that. They watched Owen in a social situation, they watched him visually stimulate throughout the hall, they watched his personality shine through when we laughed at his adult size burp - for me, they got to REALLY meet Owen. Late last night, I recieved an email from the head of the Fundraising Committee, Jen. I asked her if I was able to share what she wrote to me, and here is. Thank you Jen, and thank you Owen for shining your beautiful light. oxox
"Hey! So - this may be random and sappy -- but I need to share with you what it meant for me meeting Owen tonight. I am tearing up already so this could be a full mess of a message but it is coming from my most honest heart. When he walked in and made eye contact with me and came and stood with me - that was an incredible moment for me. (i dont know how normal that is..) but to feel a connection with him from the start meant something to me. it may have been no big deal to him -- probably wasn't a big deal i mean) but it meant something so big to me. i could have cried but held back. He is an amazing kid Vanessa - amazing! I could have watched him and talked with him all day. To feel him leaning on me and showing me his game and wanting to interact meant so much. It put everything I am trying to do so well (i am trying hard!) into so much more perspective! It meant alot to me to meet him. My heart is excited and emotional all at the same time. I feel sad for you and Ryan - not because having Owen and Ben is a burden - but it is a financial burden (that is the only burden I believe it is though).. and excited becasue I am able to do something to help them! I want to get to know Owen Maddie and Ben more and be able to help when I/Dave and I can. I wanted to take him home with me! I was so intrigued and astounded with how good of eye contact he made with me, and his ease at interacting with me. THANK YOU so much for bringing him and introducing me!! I could go on and on and tell you how much tonight meant to me but i won't. I loved Owen! I really did and I can't wait to see him again. Thank you so much for being the mother you are - because when I see that kid - all I want for him is opportunity and love! and he has got both!!! Love it! Talk soon!! (sorry for the rant! lol) xoxoxoxoxxo "

2 comments: