Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Friday, March 23, 2012

Well, he goes like this (insert waving my hands inappropriately in a chicks face) .. its a personal space issue :)


I had to figure out last night what Ryan and I wanted to work on, as Owen was accepted into the Social Group Friday mornings starting next Friday, through the ABA program at Bethesda. He has come such a long way, and actually will initiate play with his peers, and enjoys a variety of games, but we figured out we should work on the WAYYYYY he plays with his peers.

Owen is a visual stimmer - he likes to look at things very close up with his eyes, through different items, and various ways... sometimes, and most times with us, his siblings, and we have now seen with his peers - he actually will shove toys in their faces and stim at the same time.. resulting in the other kid getting freaked out and Owen thinks it funny.lol.. which it kinda is.

Today was the day I had to go into Bethesda (of course arrived a 1/2 hr late) heard a bit of the presentation, and then it was paperwork time (a plus from working at Bethesda because I was last one in first one out!) We had to pick a certain behaviour we wanted the ABA therapists to help Owen work on - so yes, in front of everyone I said Owens personal space issue when playing with a peer because he is visually stimming.. I also did a re-enactment.. it was awesome.

The last part of the form, was figuring out what I (as his parent) wanted to work on, a goal for myself. I don't want to "toot my own horn", but that was really difficult. I feel like we are on the right path regarding Owen, and I was trying to think really hard what we could do different, what I catch myself doing that maybe I shouldn't - then it came to me.. I verbal prompt him WAYYYYY too much. Owen knows what is expected of him, he knows for example how to go to the bathroom when he needs to.. yet in the mornings, I will say to him, "okay Owen, go pee pee" when he totally knows, so I am really going to try and lay off of that with him, give him more independence. I felt good finding something I can work on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment