Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Unless.





“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
― Dr. Seuss

Today is my day off from work, its my "Saturday" part of my weekend. So, today I was able to take Owen with his school to the movie theatre and see the new Dr. Seuss movie, "The Lorax". I wasn't concerned at all with Owen in the theatre, we began taking him when he was much younger, and does extremely well.

We sat right at the front, and he was so excited. He was bouncing up and down on his seat, sitting with the rest of the class and the parents that were able to go. A friend of mine, who is also a teacher at Owens school, brought him a weighted lap buddy and earphones if it was too loud. I never used these with Owen at the movie theatre before, he never showed he needed them - but he used both items the entire movie - maybe he has more sensory concerns then he shows? He enjoyed having the earphones on, but when I tried to help not so much - like everything else, it is on his terms.

I never read the Lorax before, never heard of it till the movie came out, so I was really excited to go with Owen and see it. The movie was great, lots of famous people were the voices, and the storyline was wonderful. Of course, the movie is coming to an end, Owen did so well he is now waving, "bye" to the characters as they sing their last song - and a quote comes up,

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

I cried. I looked at Owen, and in true Vanessa fashion - I cried. I cried because this quote hit me, unless someone like me, does care a lot about Autism and awareness, nothing is going to change their future and it is not going to get better. I thought of what I do for him, now his brother - all the ways I try to educate our families, the blog that I write that hopefully someone somewhere is learning more and more, the Support Group I attend with my wonderful amazing moms in the exact same situation, the fundraising, the public speaking - is it enough? Can I do more?

So, since I have been home from the movies, which is 40 minutes, it is all I have been thinking about. What can I do, that will help more? If us as parents, support workers, family and friends can do something, what can we do, what is it?

Also - big shout out to Lorax for giving me the tattoo idea I have been waiting for,

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” - Dr. Seuss
with 2 puzzle pieces and a princess crown ;)

-Vanessa

4 comments:

  1. Love your words!! I'm learning lots from you :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad they worked for him! It may not even be that he needed them persay, but they may have made the noise and stimulation easier to process. My students use them all the time. Incredible how they work. I loved the movie too. Great message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you were there! Yes, he was really on over-load with all the noise and all the people - I am glad you let him use them :)

    Quote at the end got me! haha.

    ReplyDelete