Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Monday, March 12, 2012

A phone call I was not expecting - thank you.





We have been through quite a lot in the past 2 years, having a child with special needs, in our case, Autism takes your life throws it in a blender and puts it on high power. Its not the typical lifestyle, but its ours - its our normal ;)

I remember when our friends and family wanted to throw our family a fundraiser, because we know how important Early Intervention is, and we were paying quite a bit to have Owen in therapy as he waited on the government wait list. Our fundraiser was amazing, with a lot of work, hope, dedication and love - it was wonderful, and we were blessed to raise enough for a year of therapy for Owen. I was on Maternity Leave with Ben, we just bought a new house 2 months before we found out that Owen actually had Autism, and this blessing was something we were struggling to afford, but now did not have to worry for a full year, a true blessing for us, and for Owen.

Last week, I was at home, and the phone rang, it was my Union Representative. I have been also blessed to have him in my life, and all the struggles he has helped me overcome, it was nice to talk to him on the phone. I volunteered to help be apart of the Social Committee, and he called to let me know they are going to start giving back to the community and they picked a charity. I thought right away because I loved planning our fundraiser for Owen, that I would love to help anyway I could - and then he hit me with it.... he wanted to help us, we were the charity to help with Benjamin's therapy.

Cue me being a totally, ugly, sobbing mess...big mess. I would never in a million years expect that from anyone ever again, let alone my co-workers. I don't think I thanked him under 40 times, it had to be much more and the shock didn't wear off, actually it still hasn't. How could we be this blessed again? For my work family to want to be there for our family, to think of us, for even considering my family I could never thank them enough.

Tonight we had our Union Meeting, and our family was approved to be the charity they wanted to help, and my eyes swelled. I wanted and still want people to just understand what we go through day to day, and not to feel sorry or feel pity, but I want people to feel uplifted and hopeful that this life isn't for everyone, but it was made for us. I explained tonight, as much as I could without crying too much, that we have 2 boys with Autism, and Ben like his brother used to be - is struggling, and we are hoping to get him into private therapy in April like we were able to have Owen in. Having Ben in therapy at a young age, would give him a fighting chance like Owen, help him speak, curb the behaviours a bit - and give him the opportunity like his brother to have a rather normal life, but for Support Workers with a mortgage and a van payment, it is difficult to provide Ben with this opportunity.

I ended our meeting tonight, thanking them, educating them on all the facts about wait lists and therapy, and feeling totally full of support and love..and utterly blessed.

I will be posting details as they arise for Our Spring Fling to help costs for the Coens family :)

Keep the first weekend in June open for a night of fun and fundraising, and don't forget about our Autism Walk for Autism Niagara on June 2 2012 as well!

oxoxox

2 comments:

  1. "I wanted and still want people to just understand what we go through day to day, and not to feel sorry or feel pity, but I want people to feel uplifted and hopeful that this life isn't for everyone, but it was made for us". <3 <3 <3 Perfectly stated!

    I had not thought of putting my son into any kind of private therapy. Maybe you could share some info with me on FB. I saw Owen at our meeting and I was very impressed with his level of self-control. I'm sure some of that is due to earlier (private) intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oxoxox thank you!!!!! I will send you everything for the private therapy side of things! Owen has come such a long way, he is a totally different child, and doing amazing!! :) I will send you all the info I have, and other options as well that we have looked into :) oxoxox

    ReplyDelete