Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Sunday, July 17, 2011

I can joke.


I have reached the point, where I am able to joke about Autism. Now, believe me, this disorder is no laughing matter, it is horrible, devastating, sometimes unbearable, its a slap in the face. I have felt this way since the day that our worst fear for Owen came to light, it has not been all roses and ice cream....believe me.

Ryan has the type of personality, that he is able to joke and be sarcastic about virtually anything. He is able to joke about himself, about me, about working 24/7 to pay for everything in our crazy life, he is able to joke about Owen. It's interesting to see peoples reactions to his joking, they don't know how to take it. Do you laugh? No.. you can't laugh, the parents will think your a jerk. Do you yell at them?! No, its their kid! They can say whatever they want.. but I can't..that's not my kid.. I'll get punched in the face. So, normally, the reaction we get is a soft, "Awwwwwwww Ryan....."..haha. It's almost a double standard, I can totally joke about him because he is mine, you can't.

I have found that making jokes about Owen, to be difficult, because I don't want to hear anyone making jokes about him, including Ryan. They are all in love, and I know that, but I just can't get myself to that level. I did find myself today at Ryan's grandmother's, actually making a joke, and I didn't feel bad, and it was alright.

So, I can joke...here it is.

Mom Coens - we have to get him not walking on his tippy toes (this is about Ben and walking)
Ryans grandpa - whats wrong with that? he wants to be peter pan.
Vanessa - yea, Owen toe walked, and look where that got us. :)

See, I can joke. oxoxox

1 comment:

  1. LOL..
    good for you..
    for if i couldn't joke and didn't have a sense of humour in my life..i'd be out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete