Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Transition Meeting done - am I less stressed? little bit.


We have honestly been having appointments up the wa-hoo this week, I can not believe it. The one I was most looking forward too, since March, was Owens transition to Cherrywood Acres school this coming September. Ryan and I were ready to go, I wrote out 10 facts that would help them know Owen a bit more, and they can see what makes him unique and amazing in our eyes. (I suggest that every parent going through this process make one of these lists, it helps them so much and you also have a large say). Also included in our meeting, was Owens resource teacher, his head therapist at Brick By Brick, and 3 women from the DSBN, including the principal Mrs. Baggs.

I was nervous going, not because I am not confident in my approach, but I was nervous to hear plans that involve my child. If I could compare this meeting to anything, it was like being back at work for me, in a case conference, but this time I was the parent. All went well, we discussed Owens different strengths, weaknesses, quirks, and it was all positive. I feel very confident in this transition for him into JK, and also was very happy to hear that I can have a communication journal between the teacher and I to keep me always informed. I told them I am a VERY involved parent, but in a good way :)

I could tell leaving the meeting, that they got the feeling from us that Owen, as well as our other children, are our life. They always come first, and they will always get what they need to accomplish anything in life, regardless of what it takes.

I feel very at ease about this coming September, but totally not ready for the bus for Owen yet ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment