Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Sunday, May 8, 2011

If it wasn't for the humming...


Owen would be just the, "weird kid". I could live with that, I could totally be the mom of the kid that does his own thing, and I would ROCK that title. He couldn't care less about it anyway, Owen does do his own thing, he doesn't need social acceptance, he just doesn't care - a trait a people pleaser like me wishes I had.

I have been told by 3, YES, 3 crucial people in Owens therapy life that if it wasn't for his constant humming, he would totally blend in and appear typical. How amazing is that? He is not aggressive, he has now started to be verbal with is peers, he is so FRIGGIN smart..as a family, we have travelled this journey with him, providing everything we can for him, and holy shit - its paying off.

I don't know if there is any greater feeling when you have a child with a disability, to be told they are so close to mainstreaming, they can taste it... now about this humming. Humming is very common in children with Autism, and for Owen, he has always had this. Its hard to pin point what is the function of his behaviour of humming, I know for sure its for sensory - he is totally getting something from it on another level. He hums when he is happy, sad, stressed, anxious, excited, angry - he hums. What we *hopefully* want to do when he is able to understand, is he can hum as much as he wants at home, but when we are out, humming is minimal. This concept works with him, as he does with his clothing. He knows that when we leave our home, his clothes stay on, but at home, he is able to just be in his undies if he wants too - and he is great with this.

I have to say as well, if humming is our only problem right now, I think we are doing alright :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree. And humming is something our oldest foster daughter (who is now 21) used to do all the time..especially at dinner...it was a nervous thing for her.

    ReplyDelete