Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

More than just a pizza delivery..


O.M.G I was craving pizza tonight.. like bad. It was a rough day, emotionally pretty rough.. and I wanted to end the day with some awesome pizza. We always order from Pizza Pizza, it is amazing, and I thought tonight, we deserved it. Like usual, I ordered it online for us, Owen loves the cheese on the pizza - it was a done deal.

Normally, when our pizza gets here, we have small talk with the delivery driver, and then we are ready to chow down. Today was different. The first thing that comes out of his mouth is, "Do you have someone here that has Autism". Ummm Hello? Really? AMAZING! I said something along the lines of Yes, why? Because we have a Conservative Sign on our lawn, he began to advise me on voting for the NDP...and to research it. He was fantastic, and I said I would look into it for sure.

2 Minutes later, we are still talking. He also told me his ex-wife was very big in the Autism community in BC, and he was a Doctor with Doctors without Boarders. Our conversation was amazing, he gave me his number, and said he would love to talk to my husband and I about what he knows. I loved this. There was no judging, no opinions, only facts and curiosity. Before this awesome delivery man left our home, he said to me "Your son can be typical, I have seen it. You will need to put in a lot of work, it is up to you".

Owen said Bye to this mystery man, and I thought, "hmmm, God does appear to us in different forms, doesn't he".

oxox

2 comments:

  1. Wow..that is a pretty amazing story.
    Why was the doctor delivering pizza though..
    and I knew about NDP..that's who we are voting for.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I researched it last night, and they do seem to fight for our children and their funding. I might be changing. He was a DR where he was from, he also was a DR in Africa, doing the Doctors without Boarders. Now, he is delivering pizza and it is such a huge hassle to get his license in Canada. I know quite a few families that are in this situation as well. Where they were born they held such important positions, and when they immigrated to Canada, they loose all their status, and work!

    ReplyDelete