Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

1 is the loneliest number..



Why it has taken this long for McMaster and I to connect, I am not sure.. but I am glad we did. With so much time passing by, it is hard for me to think back to the child that was first diagnosed, do I even remember him? Sure, he didn't talk much, grunted a lot, peed his diaper, and he screamed all the time. Yea.. I remember that kid, super autistic like.

Now, I see a different kid, and it is almost impossible for me to remember that other guy, unless I go back on this blog and really try to remember. It brings me back to reality, to show how far we have come in a year, and how far we will continue to go.

Now, to this phone call. It was long overdue, but now looking back, I am so glad. I think hearing what I did today much closer to when it happened, I think I would have been a mess instead of being amazed. Pam (the assessment Dr) and myself, went through the assessment dating back from June 2010. This was Owens entry assessment to see if he was deemed eligible for Bethesdas funding for 24 hr a week covered therapy.

To make a long phone call short, out of the percentages from 1-100% (which is like 100 children) Owen was a 1.. very severe. Low to Moderate range in areas like coping skills, domestic skills, life skills, communication .. so low, so sad. What we were not surprised about, was Owen scored average on Motor skills, gross and fine. Its amazing for me to think of the child now, and I am so curious to find out what he will score when he enters the program in July 2012.

I think he will kick the 1%'s ass.

2 comments:

  1. I do too! It was great to meet all three of your beautiful children!!

    ReplyDelete