Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Thursday, March 31, 2011

We are blessed with and without Autism in our lives.


The past few months have been difficult, not only difficult, but super difficult. I have been watching Ben like a hawk, and see some signs..and notice that he is behind. As posted before, I had my family Doctor examine Ben, and we both have concerns about Ben's development, and I wanted him looked at by Owen's developmental milestones.

On Tuesday March 29, we had an appointment at Owens diagnosing Doctor, Dr. Donkor in Niagara Falls. I was so nervous, I guess because I did not know what to expect. Was I going to be right? Could they even tell me Ben was Autistic at 13 months? Was I crazy?
hmmm.

So, they weighed my 28lb chunker..and Dr. Donkor assessed him for about an half an hour. He asked me many questions, why I think he is? we talked about Owen...genetics..statistics..and Bens characteristics. At the end of our appointment, he told me that he wants to go out on a limb, and say that he does not think Ben is Autistic, and he even wants to see us again in 5 months to prove his point. He did say Ben is a couple months behind, but that to him, is not a big deal.

Being optimistic for me, is difficult...and waiting the 5 months to wait and see if he really isn't is hard - but I am going to try really hard.

So as of right now, Ben is wonderful.. a big beautiful baby, showing no signs of Autism, just a little behind. We are blessed with and without Autism in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I like Donkor...and you know..he's been pretty right on with Joey the entire time...

    ReplyDelete