Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Friday, January 7, 2011

Owen vs. Potty Round 2.


No, you are not missing a blog.. there was a round 1, and I was too frustrated to write about it. Here is the basics of round 1 - Owen sits on potty, Owen jumps off of potty, then watches Owen poo and pee on the floor.

I hated round 1.

So, after posting how much I hated round 1 of Owen potty training on Facebook, I got a wonderful message from another mom to a child with ASD, and she sent me a program to follow that is working for her son, that she got from a therapist at a seminar I believe. Why the hell not? I will try it out, see how it goes... Owen and I have nothing to loose.

Owen vs. Potty - Round 2.

So, the first part of the program was to sit your child on the potty until they go, this could be 20 min, an hr.. maybe 3 hrs.. Owen was closer to 4 hrs before he would give in. We had lunch in the bathroom and dinner in the bathroom, it was horrible... but, worth it. When I heard that trickle of pee, we had the BIGGEST celebration, I think I even had tears roll down my face. So, the next part is to continue to put your child on the potty every 15 minutes, giving lots of fluids, and when they are off the potty making sure they are bare bottomed.

Owen's time on the potty dramatically decreased, and the goal is to get your child to pee within 30 seconds being on the potty - goal reached yesterday!! that was Day 3!! We are now working on Owen wearing undies while he is waiting to go, so I am hoping this will go alright as well.. so Monday he is able to wear no diaper to therapy!!!

Keep you all updated.

oxox

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Praying for you as you travel this part of your journey! I'm dreading it so much I actually shudder anytime anyone brings it up to me! I am not sure when this is going to happen in our lives...but I certainly pray that Grady is talking a tad more by then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara!!!! Send me your email, I have a WONDERFUL program that Owen totally responded too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete