Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Feeling like I can take over the world for them



Maybe because it is Christmas in a couple of days, or maybe its because so much has happened lately in our lives, that my mothering skills have been taken to a whole new level.

I am finding with this being a busy season, with holiday preparations, family visits, all this on top of Owens therapy, preschool, ballet for Maddie and just trying to squeeze in time for just the 5 of us - its insane lately...but has completely reminded me at this time of year for all that I am thankful, the good and the bad.

I am so thankful that I have embraced my motherly instinct - that I never thought was there. I honestly think back to when I had no children, and how much I enjoyed the sleeping in, the late nights due to partying and not crankiness, the clean clothes with no spit up - and now having everything opposite - its the best feeling the world.

I wonder how we learn our parenting skills? do we learn from a young age from our parents? do we learn from every adult and what they have contributed to our lives? I am not sure.. but I am thankful for the roads that have made Ryan and I the parents that we are, the good and the bad.

To think that 3 years ago, I could have handled a child with a special needs, and 2 more kiddies that keep me on my toes - and now, its normal, all normal.. and I wouldn't trade it for the world, and I think a lot about it lately.

I guess today its just one of those days that I am thankful for my husband and my children, they have given me so much strength that I never knew I had, they are my family.

I love the 4 of you more than you will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment