Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Monday, November 8, 2010

Regression can appear in many forms



We have had a rough month as of late - really tough. I guess this is the part of the roller coaster where I want to jump off and take the fall myself instead of finishing the ride out with Owen - take the heat myself - not him. With Autism, there is a give and take relationship - Owen is going to give us more words, more communication .. less complacency and more behaviours. What seems better?

I have been so upset over this all weekend, I kept writing emails to Owens therapist, telling her what we have been seeing, experiencing, handling - everything. Can you even try and imagine to see your beautiful child hurting themselves? Screaming to the top of their lungs and jumping up and down because you said, "wait your turn".. maybe you can, but I would never wish that on anyone.

Here is a small overview of what we are going through right now -

Pros-----------

-Owen is using more words
-Owen is mimicking
-Owen is counting, learning shapes, and letters
-Owen still naps
-Owen is now (regressed) feeding himself again
-Owen is trying new foods
-Owen can put on and take off his shirts/pants/coats .. and is trying really hard with his shoes
-Owen is not using a sippy cup
-Owen is telling me 50% of the time when he poops
-Owen will not elope on me, ever.
-Owen is handling transitions well as of late

Cons ---------------------

-Owen still requires me to spoon feed him when he hates what he is eating
-Owen will drink NOTHING but Milk, yes we have tried, he will not
-Owen strips, sometimes in public
-Owen has begun to scream at the top of his lungs, everywhere, for every emotion
-Owen is now jumping up and down when he doesn't get his way
-Owen is not showing any signs of toilet training anymore
-Owen has been much more aggressive towards myself, Ryan, and his sister
-Owen's bedtime is anywhere from 10pm-1am (I am working VERY hard on this)

The biggest road block - CONSISTENCY. I am harder on Owen, as I expect more from him because I know how smart he is.. Ryan, needs more help in this area.

This is where we are stuck, and now we need to have an emergency team meeting with Owens therapists at BBB, and figure out what to do for him. This is on my mind as of late 24/7, so to my family and friends, if I seem a little "off", or "focused", this is why. I am needing to take a break from everyone Else's issues, and seriously concentrate on my son - this is what an advocate and concerned beyond belief part does :)

oxoxox

I thank you all for your constant understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment