Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Sunday, November 14, 2010

More words.. less complient?


This is sticking in my mind - yes, he can talk even a thousand words, in full sentences, with proper English.. but will he sit at a table when asked without screaming.. hell no.

Owen is non-compliant, and he is with the best of them. I am still finding it difficult to distinguish what is typical for a 3 yr old and what is typical for a 3 yr old with Autism.. this is super difficult. I look at other 3 yr olds, and I know if they were asked to sit at a table without fighting - they so wouldn't.. but I think for the most part right now, depending who asked him.. Owen would.

For me, I think I need to keep seeing Owen near other children, Autistic or not.. I know you are not supposed to compare, but I would like to see where Owen is. How he acts with children on the Spectrum compared to peers who are, "typical"..I think it is good for him, and good for us as well.

Lately, this whole rollarcoaster with Owen is bringing us to this Tuesday, the meeting with Owens team to discuss new ways to help him when he is having issues, maybe a new reinforcement other than chocolate, getting his toxins tested.. there is so much.. but I am ready, with Owen, to take it all on.

Its funny 8 months later, I am actually able to write - would I want Owen to have all the words in the world and not be compliant with a question and potentially loose his government funding... or reversed?!

oxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment