Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Autism Support Groups - Real life Parenthood


This was something that I have wanted to do for a while. As I wrote before, I would bug Ryan, ask him to attend a Support Group with me, and he wanted zero part of it. I am a talker.. I like to hear peoples stories, ask questions, and share stories of my own. I am so lucky to have met Kelli, that has Ryan also diagnosed with Autism, that also shared an interest in the Support idea.

This past Thursday, we decided to go together. Kelli picked me up, we talked the whole way there, wondering if this is going to be just like how Parenthood portrayed it. We got there, we must have been early. It was just us - awkward. Then Kelli asked if we were in the right spot, and we were! We sat down, ate a couple cookies and waited for more people to arrive. We got to meet some amazing mothers, with children all different ages, and all older than our sons. These mothers have been through it all, back to when Autism Niagara did not even exist.. they had a lot to share.

We discussed our spouses, our children, severity, toilet training, behaviour - everything. They gave us a new insight we both had never had, and felt different from listening to it. Kelli and I both are hoping to master potty training soon, and some of their children still are not potty trained fully, which was scary to hear. They asked me several questions about Bethesda, different wait times, different issues we face - they were amazing.

Kelli and I left, and we both felt the same...did this benefit us? or did it make us a little more scared for the future? For me, it was a little of both. I guess being a newly diagnosed mom, I don't want to give up the thought that Owen can try and beat this..we are not going to give up. Then I also felt reassured that there are other people in my position, and its not easy - but so incredibly worth it.

I have to miss the next couple meetings, do to prior arrangements - but I am going to continue to go... these people actually get our situation...and have really good cookies ;) lol

oxox

No comments:

Post a Comment