Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Admist the craziness in our lives - we have a hell of a lot to be thankful for.





thanks·giv·ing (t̸haŋks′giv′iŋ)

noun

1.
1. the act of giving thanks
2. an expression of this; esp., a formal, often public, expression of thanks to God in the form of a prayer, etc.
2. ☆
in full Thanksgiving Day
1. an annual U.S. holiday observed on the fourth Thursday of November as a day of giving thanks and feasting: it commemorates the Pilgrims' celebration of the good harvest of 1621
2. a similar Canadian holiday on the second Monday of October

It looks so plain as some sort of weird definition, but for many of us, it is a time to reflect and give thanks for everything we have in our lives. Its funny, I remember when I was younger, I was thankful for barbies, for long hair (you laugh - but try having your hair cut SUPER short starting highschool..and you did not ask for it!), and I was thankful for friends.

I can tell you still, my thanks for friends still continues to this day. I have written several times about how thankful I am for the friends in our lives, friends are our chosen family....right Vic? :) Our friends have been such a strong support for us, especially through this past several months, they babysit for us, help us anyway they can - we have been truly blesses with amazing friends.

I am also extremely thankful for being given the ability to have children. I think sometimes, and I am included, we take for granted one of the greatest gifts we are ever given, the ability to be a father and mother. We, unfortunately, have seen several of our friends try and try for children, and yet nothing. Happily though, we have known a couple of friends that after years of trying, they were able to have children, so I continue to pray for people in our lives that continue to struggle in this area. I know how my children have changed me for the better, and make me strive to be a better parent. Our children have just shown me, that there is something so much greater to live for... I am thankful everyday they were trusted to Ryan and I.

I am also so very thankful for family, but more specifically, certain people in our families. The people that put their hearts into Owens Fundraiser, the people that listen to me vent on the phone for hours on end, the people that offer to watch our children so we can escape for a couple hours, the people that call and just want to take one of the kids out for a little while to give me a break - I am so thankful for you. Its so heartwarming to have people in our family that care about us so much, they are willing to help us with our children, so we can have sometime to ourselves. Thank you for being part of our village.

Since April of this year, I am so truly thankful for Brick By Brick. They have given Owen a fresh breath of life, that I honestly thought was lost. They have been like an extended part of our family, also listening to me vent and worry, being thereto celebrate Owens accomplishments, and making us believe Owen is going to be alright. They believed in Owen when I had lost hope, they are truly amazing people. They are an organization that cares so much for the indivdual, and for the family. We are so thankful to have them in our lives, and made us a believer to the core in IBI therapy.

Lastly, I personally, am thankful for my husband. I never would have thought 4 1/2 years ago, I would meet the true love of my life..and I don't think I could have found anyone better. Ryan has shown me what it is like to be an amazing father, a great provider, and such a hardworking person. I know his main priority is his children, and that could not make me any happier to be his wife. We have been through thick and thin, its feels like to hell and back, and we continue to pull through. He makes me believe that the, "80% divorce rate in parents with children with Autism" is not going to effect us, and it makes us stronger. I am thankful that our friends and family give Ryan and I the chance to go to the movies, go out for dinner, to just be alone and enjoy being married..on top of the raising 3 children and one having special needs. I am thankful for having Ryan in my life :)

So I guess what I can leave you with this holiday weekend, is truly be thankful for all that you have. You may think your life is in the toilet right now, and its not looking up anyday - but it is....We give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.

Have a great turkey day.

oxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment