Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Friday, September 10, 2010

Ever heard of the phrase, "just because you have met an Autistic Kid.. means you have only met 1 Autistic Kid .." they are all different.


True that. For people just understanding this complex disorder, when you have met one child with Autism, you really have only met one type of Autism. Like in life, everyone is different. We all have different quirks, different codes that make us unique - Autism is the same. There is no two children who are the same, they maye have some common characteristics, but no 2 children with Autism are the same.

Why I want to write about this today, is because it amazes me that some parents with children with Autism still have no grasped this concept. I am not sure if it is denial, not enough education... not too sure. I was able to understand this concept perfectly, I was scared shitless.. but I understood it.

It is a scary time for a newly diagnosed parent, because you don't know where to start. I honestly wish someone would develop a, "Autistic guide for dummies - So you have been recently diagnosed now what". I would buy it.. and I am sure it would come in handy. Parents have no clue where to start, the Dr's will do their best and point you in the right direction, but other than that, you have to navigate through yourself. I feel like I had a "one up", maybe because again, I work in this particular field.. or like my friend Stacey says, "you just know how to be resourceful, you always have" :)

While we began this journey with Owen, a big fear of mine was wondering if I would have one of the fortunate children who are able to respond to IBI therapy. Unfortunately, some children with Autism might not respond to therapy, and 60% also have a developmental disability - how scary is that. I am very proud and fortunate to say that, as you know if you follow this, Owen does respond and he is kicking Autism's ass, this kid certainly deserves a medal for what he has accomplished at the tender age of 3.

As I was picking Owen up today from another hard day at therapy, I was able to talk to his therapist for a while. I guess people have been reading Owen's story in the paper, and want results like Owen is giving...once again, no Autistic child is the same. I am not sure if doing that article gave families and parents false hope? that was never the intention. We just wanted to show how amazing he is doing, and we want to keep him in therapy for as long as we can before the Funded therapy kicks in by Fall 2012.

Owens results in IBI is unique to him, and every child learns at a different pace, he is one of the lucky ones. But I have to say, it warms my heart to no greater end that he is continuing to inspire people daily, and that he is giving us parents some hope.

Thanks Buddy.

oxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment