Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Being an advocate for your child is hard.. then add Autism


Thus this is my role in life. Someone upstairs in the sky, looked down upon Ryan and I, and thought to themselves, "Yup, those 2 fools.. they can handle it." So, I continue to embrace everything that is thrown our way, greet it with a big wide smile and keep on truckin. My new challenge - get Owen his own resource teacher for Pre-school , switch him from afternoons to mornings, and do it all, by October.

Seriously. Owen right now is in the afternoon class for preschool, and is not enjoying it. I am not sure if it is partly because it is something totally new to him, or because it is in the afternoon... I am not sure at all. All I know is, the kid is right pissed when he gets home, and is pissed 75% of the time when he is there. Something has to change, and I am the only one that ever takes an actual effort to get it done, or believe me, it wouldn't.

So, after making several phone calls, to Contact Niagara, Niagara Region, and finally to Dr. Snyder (Owens diagnosing Dr), we had our path. I was to go back to Dr. Snyder, get a letter from her stating Owen requires a resource teacher from NSS, and then send the referral MYSELF to the Niagara Region, for something to be done. How annoying and time consuming has this been? Guess.

Today, I am off to complete that process, so HOPEFULLY Owen will have a resource teacher for next month. To me, I guess this could be taken as a step, a learning curve that is getting me ready and the tools, as this will be my life as long as Owen is in school, extra activities, really anything. Also, this just shows how much work a parent actually has to do when you have a child with special needs, honestly gives you a whole new outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment