Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Autism mom turns 26 - Man alot has changed in a year.







Where does the time go? As I sit with all my close friends at my birthday dinner that I adore to share with one of the best Victoria, we all got to talkin'. Where has the time gone? 10 years ago, we were in high school, drinking colt 44's, partying in Val's backyard in tents, and going on scavenger hunts. Now, we are all married, have children, own homes, and work.. time flies.

For all of us I guess, so much can change, even in as little time as a year, and for our family, this year has been anything but uneventful. Last year at this time, I was pregnant with Ben, our little man, who now, is 7 months old. We were in the process of packing up our house in Welland, and excited to move to our dream house in Niagara Falls. Owen and Maddie were keeping us on our toes, and my frustration with Owens regression was beginning to consume my thoughts constantly.

By January, I could not take it anymore, and Owen needed to be assessed. After arguing with my Doctor to get an assessment, we got one to Dr. Donkor - February 11th Owen was first diagnosed, March 17 diagnosed again by Dr. Snyder, therapy started beginning of April - the rest is history.

In this year, my role as a person has changed. I remember the days, when my life was consumed with work, bills.. I was a mom, and from what I thought of myself, just a regular day to day mom, nothing was drastically testing my ability, till Owen. Owen has changed my whole outlook on life, motherhood, and our constant struggles of Autism that honestly, I heard of before, but it never touched a place in my heart...funny, now my life is Autism.

I guess I have to say this year, I have changed as a person - my whole life is being an advocate, for all of our children, for Owen, for Autism, for awareness....a role, that unfortunately, many mothers are in when you have a child with special needs. This birthday was perfect, I have never in 26 years felt more content and satisfied with the woman I have become, and have never in my life been as happy as I am now.

Thank you to all our friends who helped Ryan and I celebrate my birthday and Victoria's birthday, believe me, without your constant support and always being my corner, I wouldn't be the person I am, or mother.

In short, yes, ALOT has happened to our family in this year, 2009-2010 was emotional, surprising, and life changing...but I wouldn't have it any other way. seriously.

oxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment