Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tantrums, Meltdowns, Marmora, Family time and Fundrasier!!






What a mouth full eh? I have not been writing nearly as much as the nice weather is here, and the kids are wanting to be outside ALL the time! I can not believe how rapidly time is flying, I completely understand that term now - time flies when you have children. It scares me to think I am going to be a mom to a 3 year old in a month - and he is starting preschool soon as well.

We have been super busy these past coupel of weeks, right after the Cupcake Fundrasier, we decided to take a trip to Marmora to visit family, and stay at the KOA. We did this last year with our whole Coens family for a reunion, and Owen and Maddie loved it ( Ben was still waiting in the belly!) We had a great time, and the kids were wonderful. Of course they all had their moments, and for Owen, this was at a resturant and swimming. I was really surprised he lost his mind when we took him in the water, as we went swimming with him only days before we left for Marmora, and he didnt want to get out of the pool - maybe new place? lots of people around? whatever the reason, the meltdown was pretty bad, but Ryan and I persisted, and brought him in anyway - and I am glad we did. I keep thinking the more and more we get him to do things outside of his comfort zone, the better it will be - and it has proven to work for us in the past. Owen also LOVES to wonder, which scares me to death. I get so worried something could happen, and he doesnt know to call my name, or tell a stranger he is lost. So, I bought him a packpack leash with a monkey on it, and it keeps Owen with me - works like a charm and he likes it. Maddie of course was jealous, so now she has a leash with a puppie on it, everything her brother has or does - she has to as well.. its cute.

I think for us a family it was important for us to go away and recharge from all the craziness that is our life. Ryan works everyday, Owen is in therapy almost everyday during the week, and Maddie and Ben are car babies - drive here, there, anywhere mom has to go. They dont get a lot of down time with us, and this was 5 days of pure family time - I think it made all 5 of us a little bit closer as a family, and gave Ryan and I a bit of a refresher for all things to come in the next couple of months.

Speaking of things that are approaching - Owen's Fundrasier. I can not believe it is a little over a month away, and my in-laws have been working like crazy to get everything ready. It will be a fun, emotional, crazy, inspiring, and encouraging night of family, friends, and community all coming together to raise awareness and support for my son - I don't think there is a way to even begin to express what it is like to see so many people come together for your child. Tickets are now going on sale, so if you would like to come and support Owen, please email me at ryancoens@hotmail.com.

I am going to post some pictures of our life recently..hope you enjoying being a part of our family. oxox

No comments:

Post a Comment