Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Madelynn - being a neurological typical kid





Who knew this would be a difficult thing for us as parents to deal with, sometimes more so than Owen having Autism. I don't get to write about Maddie too much, as this is Owen's blog, where I get to brag how amazing he is doing, our struggles as of late, and different treatments, methods and anything else you could think of!

Why I am going to dedicate this blog to my beautiful daughter Madelynn - because I think she is struggling, and I am struggling for her. Maddie is smart - and I mean super smart. She catches on to everything so quickly, she has a DYNAMITE personality (take total credit for that!) and she is the most loving and affectionate child I honestly have met in a 2yr old in a long time.

But - I worry for her, and I see her just thrive for attention, even if it is negative, and that is scary. She has a lot on her plate, she has an older brother, where in her mind, says simple words that she has already mastered, and he gets HUGE praise, claps and tears! Then, she has a baby brother, who gets to be held and cuddled all the time, where she doesn't. How is this fair? and to be honest, I have to agree with this.

Maddie also is completely following in her brothers footsteps - she is our Autism 2.0 She copies everything Owen does, hand flapping, hitting her head, toe walking, and my favourite - screaming. How can I blame her? Owen does this and thinks this is the way things are, and Maddie is Owen's biggest fan..maybe Ryan and I are the ones who have it all wrong? A shirt I saw on the web is finally making sense - You call it stimming - we call is grooving. lol.

I am really trying to keep my alarm on when dealing with Maddie, giving her a little more attention on Owens down times or when he is busy, taking her out with me instead of the other 2 ( as Ben has no clue yet)and do special things with her..she deserves it. I have always had to hear from my wonderful hubby, he suffers from, "Middle Child" syndrome, and looking at Maddie, I can see what he can mean. He eldest brother and youngest get attention naturally, where she feels she has to fight for it, and it is something I never wanted to happen and have tried to be conscience of not letting it happen to her, but I guess somethings can be inevitable.

Maddie is my special, wonderful, loving and compassionate girl, who I would give the world for. She is dramatic, funny, and throws REALLY good tantrums.. but deserves everything in the world just for being her. Ryan and I love her to pieces, and I have no idea how I am going to further more go out of my way to find something her and I can do together - but that is my mission. Maddie is going to have a different kind of life, she will have to look out for both her brothers, but she will continue to be the most compassionate girl - woman, and already I am so proud to call her my daughter.

this ones for you Maddie. I love you.
oxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment