Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Everything DOES happen for a reason ...


I guess this way of thinking has taken me a long time to "adjust" to, I never really understood why Ryan and I were chosen to be blesses with Owen as our son, but daily, I get little hints of such a bigger picture of why we were selected. I saw a shirt once that truly sums up our acceptance for Owen, "You call it stimming - we call is grooving".. so true..people may look at him different, and we look at him as the most amazing, precious little boy.

I guess I will start from the very beginning why lately I have felt that everything does happen for a reason, and why certain people are introduced into your life. We had our big Bethesda assessment with Owen last month, and we were not supposed to hear until mid August. We have been sitting here on pins and needles waiting and waiting. Today, I picked up a parcel from a women I found on Kijiji living in Welland, after leaving the gym. I was still wearing my gross gym attire, including my Autism Run shirt. As I was speaking to the lady, she remembered I told her I have no problem picking up the parcel, as my son goes to IBI therapy in Fonthill. She then told me her daughter has Autism, and for the last 2 years attends Bethesda!!! I told her my husband and I work there, and are currently waiting to hear if Owen will be funded in 2 years. She then told me how far gone her daughter was, and they waited 2 years, and had no financial way to do anything sooner - it was just too expensive, so they did the best they could at home. Now, there daughter is in her 2nd year at Bethesda and is COMPLETELY verbal, and doing amazing!! I again - was in tears. I needed to hear this, that so many families experience miracles like ours - she lifted my spirits and gave me more hope.

After I left, I felt she was brought into my life for a reason - to reassure me that there is help, hope, and just maybe, Owen will get funding. Then the 3 kiddies and I get out of the van, unload the van, and I have 5 messages on my phone! Family, friends, work..but not for Ryan. Bethesda called, and said Owen was deemed eligible for FUNDING IN 2 YEARS!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
No more HUGE payment each month for private therapy - yes this is 2 years away for Owen, so of course we are keeping him in IBI until then, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel!! yay!!! and I cried - again.

This day was planned for us - for me to meet this amazing women with her autistic daughter - and for our family to finally have a glimpse of hope.

What a perfect day.

ox

No comments:

Post a Comment