Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I should count my blessings..

Today was a day with any other.. we woke up at 7am, ate breakfast, watched cartoons, and got ready to take Owen to IBI. As I am waiting with him in the waiting room for his therapist to come to take him, another mom was also dropping her son off at the sametime. His name is Riley, and he is about 5 years old, and of course, Autistic. The mom and I began to talk while we waited, and she asked him how old Owen is, when he was diagnosed, and if we are on the wait list for Bethesda, the government funded IBI. I advised her of all Owen's, "statistics"..haha, and she then informed me of her son. He was accepted to Bethesda for IBI last year, and they are currently waiting to hear if they will be given another year of services as well. They were on the waitlist for 2 1/2 years, and she is nervous they will lose funding, as he is not making progress verbally.. he uses pictures for communication, but can not speak.

This broke my heart. I used to think that about Owen, and I was so scared for him that he would not be verbal..but I thank God that he can, and he is learning so rapidly. I keep hoping that Owen will continue to make the strides he his making.. being non-verbal must be so frustrating in a verbal soicety.

So after having such a great talk with this mom, I just left IBI this morning counting my blessings for all of Owen's accomplishments...and I will sneak in a little prayer tonight for Riley too.

oxox

No comments:

Post a Comment