Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Sunday, April 4, 2010

What the Easter Bunny brought Ryan and I ..

I think last night, the Easter Bunny was super bored, and thought, "I am going to visit Owen's parents and give them an amazing gift to truly make 1st Easter living with Autism a great one!"... if this is what made us have a memorable night with Owen and our newborn Ben, thank you Mr. Bunny.

After a very long day yesterday, of shopping and getting groceries with my 2 boys, (Maddie was with her Great-Granny for the day), I was whipped. We came home, had dinner, and Maddie was dropped off. As I put Maddie to bed, I began to change Benjamin, he was super sweaty with our most beautiful weather as of late. Out of nowhere, Owen came over to see what I was doing.. as I was blocking Ben, just incase Owen wanted to climb on the couch and like I said before, Owen treats Ben like a piece of furniture. To my surprise, Owen watched me changing Ben, and then he poked Ben's tummy, and said, "BABY!!!!", THREE TIMES!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not only did he say, Baby, he pointed to an ACUTAL baby and used it appropriately!!! I again, was in tears! Ben has been around now for 5 and 1/2 weeks, and Owen has literally shown no attention to him, just one other time.. but for him to say, BABY!! I was a wreck.. if you could see how proud I was.. I will always have that moment of me, Owen, and his brother.

Then last night, I was on the phone with my friend Victoria, and I was putting together a beautiful picture frame for Ben's bedroom, with some of his newborn pictures..once again, Owen came over, and began to point at the frame with the pictures and say, "Baby!" he pointed to all 4 pictures, and said it 4 times!! I just looked at him in amazement, he hasn't even begun IBI Therapy, not till Tuesday this week!! Just look at the amount of improvement he is showing already.. I right now, can feel my pores just bursting with love and a sense of accomplishment for my little man.

To top of our Easter as well, my father has moved in downstairs, and he owns a beautiful Shetlen dog, and Owen LOVES dogs. We have tried a couple times to get a dog, but with 3 children under 3, its just not possible. This dog is super trained, and just amazing.. and makes Owen so happy. Did you know that some dogs are trained to work with children with Autism? and families will pay around $30,000 for one? I just see how Owen is with this dog, Scout, and it brings a new light into his personality.. I can see why some families pay so much money for one.

So, I have to say, so far.. this is one of the best Easters we have ever had.. or maybe I am just paying more attention to the little things that sometimes go unnoticed?

oxox

***I would also like to send our prayers and thoughts to my friend Victoria and her wonderful family, we are thinking about you today and always. I am here for you for anything, as you and your family have been there for me and mine. oxox***

No comments:

Post a Comment