Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sleep Patterns... errrrrr

This has been driving me insane as of late.. Owen's sleeping patterns. For some of you not aware, some children with Autism have unusual sleep patterns, more like napping throughout the night, but up most of the time.. and wide wide awake. As soon as I read that, I thought how lucky Ryan and myself were to have such a great little boy, who gives us zero issues on bedtimes...I would say to him, "night night Owen"..and he would literally moan and groan all the way up our stairs in our old semi-house, and put himself to bed.. no issue.. oo those were the days.

I want to label Owen's sleep patterns almost as 2 different personalities.. there is Mommies Owen who eats regular, naps regular like clock work, usually for 2 hours, and in bed by 8:30pm.. this is MY Owen.

Ryans' Owen - eats whenever...sleeps whenever.... bed when Ryan literally goes to bed, will not sleep if Ryan is around..unless EXTREMELY TIRED. Do you realize how frustrating this is?

I was looking to blame his weird sleeping patterns on being Autistic, as he would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and wide awake to start his day, sometimes would take over 2 hours to get him to go to bed at night, and refused to nap. Then one day, it all made sense.. I cannot blame this on my son.. I can blame it on Ryan.. lol..

It always happens when Ryan is home, Owen just wants to be up with him, always with him.. and yes, this is totally cute how much Owen loves his daddy..but seriously!

So I have to say, when I was sitting in this past weeks ASD seminar on behaviour, and Sleep Patterns came up, I had to laugh at our situation in my head, this is ONE thing I can not blame on Autism.. its just how much my son and husband love each other.. and for that, I will deal with the Jackly and Hyde Sleep Patterns of Owen.

oxox

No comments:

Post a Comment