Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Owen and Ben's Journey Through Autism

Thursday, April 22, 2010

I don't think there is a prouder mom out there right now..

It's true. The strides and triumphs that Owen continues to make, is amazing... and I can not believe how far he has come in such a short time.

Let me take you back to Feb. 11 of this year, the day we found out Owen was offically Autistic.. he only had 4-5 words, sometimes, not engage in any type of play.. it was horrible. I have to remind you of that to compare to where he is now, in a short time of 2 1/2 months since we have found out.

Owen is talking/babbling so much more.. he uses Puppy frequently, recently got kitty back, buh bye is uses as it should be constantly, says baby to his brother and gives kisses to him.. at IBI he is sorting items according to colour as he should, pushing pegs in the correct holes.. the therapists only have to show Owen how to do things a couple times, before he masters the task..

For this I am blessed. I am blessed, Ryan is blessed, Maddie and Ben are blessed.. our whole family is to have Owen in our lives. He shows me everyday how far along he is coming, and is not treating Autism as a life sentence.

I took Owen and Ben to my friends house yesterday, who recently got 2 kittens.. we were all so excited to see how Owen would react to them..at first he called them, puppies.. haha.. and then began to call them kitties.. and would ask Claire and Megan to go and see the kitties.. amazing..I really don't think I could be prouder right now.

Lately, I have been reading many books.. just borrowed some more from my friends.. and I am educating myself daily. In one of the books I am reading, it says that IBI will monitor the childs progress, and this is a form of testing the childs intellect.. which I have to admit had me a bit worried. All I could think of when I read that, was am I going to find out Owen is mentally disabled.. what if he doesn't improve? What will his future hold?

But he is doing so well!! and this may sound horrible, but I also think to myself quite a lot, about different clients I know and see, and I just honestly thank God that Owen could always be worse than he is.. and he is just amazing.

It is the best feeling to come on here, and I get to express how proud I am of my son.. and to be amazed daily..I wish everyone could feel like I do right now.

oxox

No comments:

Post a Comment